Monday, May 4, 2009

Taking Off The Redshirt: Colby Jackson


Prototypical North-South, bulldozer style Fullback, Colby Jackson is not. While he possess brute strength and is utterly immune to arm tackles, he has tremendous break away speed along with a good set of jukes. He is not limited to running straight ahead. Many times he will cut across field to wherever the open greenery might be. Colby stands 6'2 and weighs 225 and runs a 4.55 40 yard dash. He is no wind-up toy, meaning it doesn't take him a while to get his motor going. He is already at full speed when the ball is handed to him and he explodes through the hole. Don't get me wrong, Colby is a Fullback. He runs a little high and bowls over people. But his speed and agility set him apart from most Fullback's.

In his Senior season at Trinity Christian School in Georgia he put up silly numbers. He racked up 2,597 yards on the ground averaging 12.5 yards per carry. If you think that his YPC was gaudy, then check out his 42 TD's. Not to mention the fact that Colby was a monster on both sides of the ball. On top of his incredible offensive season, he also tallied 92 tackles playing linebacker. Jackson was also a competitive wrestler in high school, which could have done nothing but enhance his football abilities.

Colby chose to run with the Pack over offers from Miami, Air Force and Georgia Southern. While Scout and Rivals ranked him as a 2 Star recruit, ESPN didn't miss a beat when they ranked him as the #10 Fullback in the class. He is currently sitting behind Fullback Taylor Gentry on the NC State Depth Chart.

Check out these three highlight reels of Colby that his mom posted on YouTube. He is #33.





comments

5 Responses to "Taking Off The Redshirt: Colby Jackson"
  1. ppack3 said...
    May 4, 2009 at 2:32 PM

    Though Taylor Gentry laid down one of the sickest blocks I've seen in a long time in the Spring Game, look out for Colby Jackson. This kid has great balance, coordination and power. And, you're right WPP, these attributes are honed on the wrestling mat and carried over to the football field.
    Just watching these videos, you can get a sense that Colby doesn't want a 'take-down' on his stat sheet. The play where he reverses field, and is off to the races, is awesome.
    Thanks again WPH, for the preferential treatment on the content and order of the "Taking Off The Red-Shirt" series. I will be posting more on the other threads when I have the chance, and I hope that the readership is higher than the comment count suggests. I absolutely love both of your sites, but isn't it time for Pack fans to start getting pumped up for Pigskin? I am trying to spread the word to all of my people. I feel like I'm the only one commenting on the football articles, and that everyone is missing the incredible content that you guys are posting here. I get the Wolfpacker. I go to other sites (less and less) periodically, and there isn't another Wolfpack Athletics forum that can touch Pigskin/Hoops. I swear, when our finances get right, I will contribute. But, since I spent our entire tax refund on the Wolfpack Club for our Season Tix and LTR's, the wife has squashed my 'willy nilly' spending. :)
    My Dad is polishing up his converted Trailways Bus (RV), were are getting all of our gear ready. The ladies are planning menus. I've got our grills cleaned. Tickets dues are paid. I got the game dates on my work vacation schedule. I am checking things off, that are on my list. September is right around the corner, and I'm already excited! Beat those C*cks! Go Pack!

  2. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    May 4, 2009 at 2:43 PM

    Ppack3,
    You're welcome and thank you for all your support and kind words. You're right, the commenting over here hasn't really taken off yet, however we appreciate you writing in and hope you continue to do so. Our hit count over here is significantly lower than on our basketball site which is logging over 8000 some days. Pigskin is putting up about the same number WoflpackHoops did in it's early stages. We'll keep spreading the word and I think when football season rolls around so will the visitors. Keep spreading the word and we'll keep doing what we're doing!

  3. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    May 4, 2009 at 2:44 PM

    and hey...if you post on any message boards...feel free to link us!! ; )

  4. TheWolfman8321 said...
    May 4, 2009 at 2:48 PM

    Hey guys,
    I'm a regular poster over at the basketball site but never posted over here, although I do visit quite a bit. I like what you guys are doing and I'll start doing my part by commenting! Great work keep it up!

  5. Anonymous said...
    May 4, 2009 at 4:09 PM

    I agree with the other comments. I now come here for all my information. Your two sites are absolutely the best. Keep up the good work.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates