Thursday, August 20, 2009

DeAndre Morgan: Game Over


DeAndre Morgan has been a starter at Cornerback since his Redshirt Freshmen season, and the experience is paying off. Even though Morgan is a rising Junior, he still has taken the second most snaps (1,323) of any player on the NC State roster besides Willie Young. His experience has produced a bonafide leader not only for the secondary, but for the whole team. When we showed up after practice to interview Morgan, he was one of the last players to leave the field because he had pulled a couple of Freshmen aside to work on technique after practice.

"The big thing is confidence. We're all athletic, we have that gift. The key is confidence and knowing what your doing, perfecting it every snap. I want to help get that installed in these young guys," Morgan said. "I've told these guys that I'm here each and every day after practice if they want to work on stance and technique. I'm not just here to make myself better. I try to let them know some of the things I did as an incoming Freshmen.

Standing at 5'10", DeAndre isn't a giant at the Corner position, but in his heart and mind he is at least 6'4". DeAndre has had to learn to play bigger than he is, and he's developed a good sized chip on his shoulder over the years.

"I have a chip on my shoulder every year. I always feel like I have something to prove. I've been so small my whole life and everybody has always underestimated me. So I just have to show them every single game," Morgan said. "I've got to go out and compete to the best of my ability because 9 times out of 10 I'm going to be faced by a bigger receiver. I'm an undersized Cornerback, and I like that. A lot of people come at me because I'm small and I like that, because I want you to come at me."

The athleticism has always been there for DeAndre. Coming out of high school he was already running a 4.4 40-time, so speed isn't an issue. But this off-season Morgan was looking to add some bulk.

"The biggest thing I've been working on this off-season is getting bigger and stronger. I feel like the speed is there," Morgan said. "I just want to get bigger and more physical with the bigger receivers. That was probably one of my downfalls last season and it was something I needed to improve on."

Morgan's older brother DuJuan's presence at NC State definitely was a factor in DeAndre's decision to go come to NC State. They had the chance to play together in the secondary his Freshmen season, which is something most brothers don't ever get the chance to do at the college level. But DuJuan wasn't the only thing that drew DeAndre to Raleigh.

"It was because of their defense. They were very aggressive and they played a lot of man-to-man. The coaches, the facilities, the school...everything was great. But the biggest thing was the fans," Morgan said. "I wanted to go to a Florida school, but the fans down in Florida, they aren't as dedicated as the fans at NC State. Down here we can play a team like Appalachian State or Gardner Webb and the game will be sold out, but if Miami or FSU plays a school like FAMU they will get like 10,000 people there. The dedication of the fans down in Florida didn't compare to the fans in Raleigh."

After being recruited to play at NC State by former NC State coach Chuck Amato, Morgan and the rest of the boys had to make a transition when Coach O'Brien took over the reins.

"It's been great playing for Coach O'Brien," Morgan said. "It was a big transition for me and the rest of the team at first, but once we got on board and started doing things his way we all noticed a big difference. He's a great coach."

Before every season Coach O'Brien has each player fill out a goal sheet. Each player we talk we try to ask what they wrote down on their sheet.

"I have to more physical and stronger. I want to be 1st Team All-ACC Cornerback. I was selected to a preseason 2nd Team All-ACC (Phil Steele's College Football Preview) and thats just another reason why I have a chip on my shoulder," Morgan said. "I don't want to just be the best in the conference, but the best in the country as well. I've just got to come out here and work hard every day, listen to Coach Reed and develop my technique."

It is our belief that so much focus is put on these players football abilities that we can forget that they are people like everyone else. When DeAndre was asked what is one of his passions outside of football, it was clear that his competitive nature translates into other areas of life as well.

"I'm the best video game player in the country. It doesn't matter what year of Madden or NCAA Football. I've got the belt in my room. Whoever is reading this, you can come play me. I live in College Inn," Morgan said. "When you come I'll record our game and then cook you some popcorn so that you can try to enjoy watching how I just destroyed you. I can also bowl pretty good. If you wanna bowl, we can do that to."

DeAndre's experience and "Game-Over" mentality will be a vital part of the Wolfpack's success this season. Oh yeah, and if your bold enough, the challenge has been issued. The belt really does reside in Morgan's room. Whether it's on the football field, playing video games or bowling, he's always looking for a challenge.

comments

8 Responses to "DeAndre Morgan: Game Over"
  1. Pack Leader said...
    August 20, 2009 at 11:31 AM

    every team needs 1 shut down corner and Capt Morgan is capable of handling that very well.

    He will be playing on sunday just like his brother very soon IMO.

    Theres always something to be said about a player whos undersized but has enough character to fight through it, and in my experience those players are tougher than the huge, gifted players.

  2. ppack3 said...
    August 20, 2009 at 11:35 AM

    First of all, he couldn't be more right about our fans! Love 'em or hate 'em, they are there and loud! We may even disagree amongst ourselves, but we are there and loud! There may be a monsoon, and we may be getting our heads handed to us, but we are there and loud! And as for the 'challenge,' I learned a long time ago that I don't have he time to get good enough at NCAA Football to take on an eight year old from Toledo, let alone Mr. Morgan. I won't be taking him up on his offer, though, I have heard plenty of tales of the belt, and it wasn't always DeAndre's. Little Jab. But I can attest to the fact that he is crazy competitive with it, and he is crazy good! There have been legendary games (of NCAA and Madden) since his first year here. Caution. If you decide to venture up to College Inn, you better bring your humility with you and check your ego at the door. On to the rest of the article.
    He and Clem are going to be bright spots for this team. The Defense, on the whole, is an unknown commodity. But, with a bit of success in the secondary, and above board linebacker play, this Defense could be leaps and bounds above where they are expected to be this year. If we can pull that off, we could have a special year, and a whale of a lead-in to next year. Good luck fella's! I know you can do it! And it all starts with the cocky COCKS. Put 'em in their place on the 3rd! Back in the hen house. Go Pack!

  3. Eric said...
    August 20, 2009 at 1:35 PM

    The part of the article that struck me most was the time he spent after practice helping the younger guys with their technique. In part, I thank TOB for creating the structure and ideals in a team that practices to get better. Mostly, I appreciate the guys wanting to win, and putting in the extra effort to make it happen on their own.

  4. Anonymous said...
    August 20, 2009 at 2:16 PM

    Holy crap, i was scared when i saw deandre morgan: game over. I was thinking, "uh oh, there goes another DB". Please guys, don't scare me like that.

  5. Alum02 said...
    August 20, 2009 at 3:00 PM

    Something about Clem reminds me of Landry, the safety from LSU that went to the Redskins. I think our secondary will surprise the pundits. I just hope the rest of our defense is as good as we hope it is. We have the potential for a very good season.

  6. Anonymous said...
    August 20, 2009 at 3:20 PM

    Great interview...glad to see Morgan taking such a leadership role with the younger guys.

    I'd love to get an update on his brother out in Kansas City too if it's ever possible.

  7. ppack3 said...
    August 20, 2009 at 3:23 PM

    Anon, I thought the very same thing. "Game Over!?" Well, I guess we'll never see him play again! Thank God he is fine.

  8. TruthBKnown Returns said...
    August 20, 2009 at 3:33 PM

    I've heard our secondary is playing very well in the scrimmages. I already believe our offense will be as good as just about any offense in the country. If we show up with a stout defense, too, LOOK OUT!!!

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates