Thursday, August 27, 2009

Jeraill McCuller: "I've Bought Into The Program"


Family is a big deal for NC State Captain Jeraill McCuller, and it always has been. In fact, it was his desire to be close to family that ultimately brought the stud Offensive Tackle to Raleigh. Jeraill played his high school ball up at Atlantic Shores Christian School in Virginia Beach, Virginia. After earning 1st Team All-State honors his senior year, this dual sport athlete (McCuller also lettered 4 years in basketball) began to attract the attention of quite a few high-major out-of-state schools. McCuller received offers from Michigan St., Maryland, West Virginia, South Carolina, East Carolina, and NC State. It was his desire to be close to his mother and his younger siblings that was at the forefront of McCuller's decision to commit to NC State.

"Growing up I moved around a lot and I wasn't really that close to my mom," McCuller said. "When I got the opportunity to go to NC State I knew I would be closer to my mom and my younger brothers and sisters. I just really wanted to be around here and be a part of their lives."


Family is also a big deal to McCuller these days for another reason. His two year old son is his pride and joy these days. When asked who he was outside of the game of football, his love for his son and his desire to be an example to him was paramount.

"Most importantly I'm a father. I have a two-year old son and he's the center of my life," McCuller said. "I just try to make sure that all of the decisions that I make throughout the day would make him proud of his daddy. That's what Jerraill is, he's a father."


McCuller has been a big member of another family, that is the NC State football team, over the past 5 years. His role really began to increase with the Pack near the end of his Redshirt Sophomore season in 2007. McCuller started in the final four games of the season and only allowed 2 sacks in 336 snaps. Last season Jeraill took his game to a whole new level. He took more snaps than any other player on the offensive side of the ball with 795, only allowing 2 sacks across the entirety of the whole season. Doing just a little bit of simple math, over the past two seasons, Jeraill McCuller has only given up 4 sacks in 1,131 snaps. He is honored to have been nominated as one of the Wolfpack's 3 captains this season, and attributes the way that he carries himself and the way that he has bought into the program as reasons for his election by his peers.

"I tell everyone it's just a blessing from God. I'm truly humbled to be elected a team captain. And I'm in good company with Jamelle Eugene and Willie Young, two outstanding players and outstanding people. I'm just excited to be a part of this," McCuller said. "I kind of feel that that was one of the reasons that I was elected captain, because of the way that I carry myself. As soon as coach called me into his office to give me the news, he told me that the best way to uphold this honor is to go out there and work hard and lead by example. Hopefully people will buy into the program in the same way that I've bought into the program."

comments

2 Responses to "Jeraill McCuller: "I've Bought Into The Program""
  1. ppack3 said...
    August 27, 2009 at 2:42 PM

    I'll say this first, "Congratulations Jeraill!" You deserve all that you have worked for, and I hope that you go on to play in the league."

    Next, I have to say, "You know as well as I do, that you HAVE to buy in to TOB's system in order for you to stay!" Now you can buy in, and not have your heart in it, then you will just roam around the sidelines. You can chose to buck the system and go home. Or, you can trust the Coaches, buy in with all that you have, and they will turn you (especially the O-linemen) into a Pro prospect. You made the right decision for your son! These coaches know what it takes to get their players to the next level, and the NFL scouts already know that. We are proud of you Jeraill. You are a great person, player and Daddy. Go Pack!

  2. Mr. Duprey said...
    August 27, 2009 at 8:59 PM

    I noticed Jerail played very enthusiastically last season, especially when we started stringing games together.

    If RW get's props for staying calm and poised in the huddles then this guy definitely takes the part of showing his emotion in order to pump up his teammates. Very few false starts that I can remember and was never knocked off his feet. If he continues improving then he would make a solid RT in rookie camp next season playing po ball.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates