Thursday, May 21, 2009

ACC History: ACC Football Champions


If you polled NC State fans and asked them how many ACC Championships the Pack has tallied in Football throughout the schools history, I would put a pretty nice wager down that most fans wouldn't place us within the Top-5 in ACC History. Well, the history books don't lie, and the Pack's 7 ACC Titles rank them 4th in ACC History behind Clemson, FSU and Maryland. I am clearly aware that we live in a culture that screams "What Have You Done For Me Lately?". Sure our last ACC Championship was back in 1979, which makes for a 30 year gulf. I know that you are hungry for Coach O'Brien to add #8 to the list, and I think he eventually will. But you can hold your heads high, because the history books are hard to argue with.

ACC Football Titles
1. Clemson - 13 (12 Outright Titles)
2. FSU - 12 (10)
3. Maryland - 9 (7)
4. NC State - 7 (5)
5. Duke - 7 (4)
6. UNC - 5 (4)
7. Virginia Tech - 3 (3)
8. Virginia - 2 (0)
9. Georgia Tech - 2 (1)
10. Wake Forest - 2 (2)
11. Boston College - 0
12. Miami - 0

comments

5 Responses to "ACC History: ACC Football Champions"
  1. ppack3 said...
    May 21, 2009 at 10:45 AM

    How crazy would it be to even come close to catching up with FSU and Clemson? We really aren't that far off pace if we pick up where we left off...when I was 5. lol.
    I have a lot of faith in O'Brien and his Staff. We will inch closer to that top spot really soon. Go Pack!

  2. TruthBKnown Returns said...
    May 21, 2009 at 1:51 PM

    I've tried to stay away from saying this, because I don't want to jinx anything. But I think we have a great shot at an ACC title THIS year.

    Giglio with the N&O has already tabbed us as the favorite to win our division. I don't see any reason why we couldn't go all the way with it this year. VA Tech is preseason #5, but I think we could be as good as anybody out there this year if we can just stay healthy! Had we been healthy all last year, good chance we could have done it then.

    I'm actually hoping for even better than a conference title. If we can pull out the win against SC in game 1, who knows!

  3. ppack3 said...
    May 21, 2009 at 3:26 PM

    Truth, don't worry about jinxing anything. I've tried to tell people that the Irish eyes are 'a smilin' on the Football Program! TOB is our lucky charm!
    All kidding aside, if we can pull out the USC game, the sky is the limit! It's hard to expect a team that is so young to accomplish Conference and National Championships. But, you are right in the respect that, the football bounces in funny directions, and if it bounces our way enough times in this season, great things could happen as early as this year.
    The Division can be there for the taking, and there is nothing I would love more than a shot at the Championship game! Our toughest games are out of conference or out of our division. You never know. Go Pack!

  4. TruthBKnown Returns said...
    May 21, 2009 at 4:04 PM

    Well said, PPack3! I loves me some Lucky Charms, and not just the breakfast cereal!

    Another thing about this season is that we only play FOUR road games, and EIGHT home games. If we get some early momentum going, the sky is really the limit.

  5. ppack3 said...
    May 21, 2009 at 5:40 PM

    For some reason, I smile when I see BC still sitting down there with 0. I'm bad.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates