Saturday, May 16, 2009

Getting To Know: Jarvis Byrd


This edition of 'Getting to Know' will feature Defensive Back Jarvis Byrd. Rivals dubbed Byrd as the top player in NC State's 2009 recruiting class. We had the chance to give Jarvis a call this past Friday in order to help all of the Wolfpack Fans get to know Jarvis Byrd a little bit better. Jarvis was a polite young man that responded with 'yes sir' after everything I said, even after I told him he didn't have to. Well, enough with the introduction, enjoy 'Getting to Know' Jarvis Byrd.




Why did you chose NC State?
The coaches were honest. I felt I had that bond with them. I also felt like I could get playing time early. It was a big deal to me when FSU offered me, because I grew up a Seminole fan. But something about Raleigh just felt like home. I wanted to come to NC State and be a part of history. I really feel like I am coming to NC State at the perfect time because I think they are on the verge of big things. My dad has always been a big FSU fan, and he was really proud of me when I chose NC State, because he knew that I had really made my own decision.

When you look back on your high school career, what are you the most proud of?
This past season one of our teammates Norman Griffin, who was my cousin, passed away during the season. It was really hard on all of us and we lost the next two games. We got together as a team and decided that Norman would want us unite and win the state championship. We came together as a team and prayed about it and decided to play the rest of the season for Norman. We went on to win the State Championship.

What are the NC State coaching staff's plans for you next season?
They want me to be able to come in and compete right away. They just keep telling me to focus on school and to make sure that is all in line. Coach Archer told me the other day that he checked into my grades, and that things were looking good. Even though most people are listing me as a Safety, NC State is bringing me into play corner. But I can play either corner or safety, but I'll play wherever I can play the most.

What is your favorite thing about playing Defensive Back?
When I'm playing Corner my favorite thing is getting physical with the Wide Receiver on the line of scrimmage. When I'm playing Safety my favorite thing is coming up and making the big hit.

Do you know any of the other players coming in with you to NC State next year?
I know Brandon Bishop (2009 NC State Commit: Safety) really well. We both live near each other, so we try to get together and work out whenever we can.

What are some of the things that you enjoy doing when your not playing football?
I really like to play basketball. I get together with a bunch of my friends and play pick-up basketball a lot. I also like going to the movies. Two movies that I have seen recently that I enjoyed were 'Notorious B.I.G' and 'Obsessed'.

We really appreciate you taking the time to do this Jarvis, but we have one last question. If you could tell the Wolfpack fans anything what would you tell them?
Tell them that Jarvis Byrd will be the face of this franchise in the next 3-4 years. Ha ha.


Let Jarvis know you are looking forward to seeing him on the field this Fall and that you appreciate his decision to come run with the Pack. Stay tuned for the next edition of 'Getting to Know.'

comments

5 Responses to "Getting To Know: Jarvis Byrd"
  1. ppack3 said...
    May 18, 2009 at 10:02 AM

    "Last season Byrd had 60 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 interception, 15 pass breakups, 4 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, 3 blocked punts and 2 blocked field goals." - WPH (previous thread)

    Jarvis is the real deal. If he fills up the stat sheet like that for the Pack, he will be one of the faces of this University in the next 3-4 seasons. I'm so happy to hear that he chose to run with the Pack, over an offer from FSU. Coach O'Brien is going to take the Pack to great places. Historic places. There are a lot of talented guys in, and on their way in, to NCSU. It's a great time to be a Pack Football fan, and an even better time to be a Pack player/recruit!

    We can't wait to see you on the field Jarvis. I'm sure that heads are going to roll, when your time comes! Go Pack!

  2. Unknown said...
    May 18, 2009 at 5:43 PM

    Welcome to the pack Jarvis. I'm looking forward to seeing you on the field.

    Jarvis "The Franchise" Byrd!

  3. Alum02 said...
    May 19, 2009 at 12:13 PM

    Can't wait to see Jarvis here. If he is anywhere near as good as his cousin (Alphonso Smith - WF) we'll be in good shape.

  4. ppack3 said...
    May 19, 2009 at 12:17 PM

    I had no idea that he was a cousin of Alphonso Smith. Often, talent lies in the genes. If he works as hard as Alphonso, the sky is the limit! Go Pack!

  5. Anonymous said...
    May 19, 2009 at 9:07 PM

    I was very happy when he stayed true to the Pack even after FSU offered.

    Can't wait to see Jarvis in the RED AND WHITE!

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates