Friday, May 15, 2009

Getting To Know: Camden Wentz


Camden Wentz is one of the best Centers that he 2009 class had to offer (#12 Scout and #13 Rivals). He is roughly 6'4 and weighs 280 pounds, and what he doesn't have in size, he makes up for it with phenomenal technique. What Coach O'Brien has found in Wentz is a well-spoken and disciplined young man who has completely bought into his mindset and vision for the NC State Football program. We had the privilege of talking with Camden yesterday, and we were blown away. This young man is well-spoken, passionate about his position, confident about the future of NC State and he sets high goals for himself. Enjoy 'Getting to Know' Camden Wentz.


Why did you decide to commit to NC State?

It was definitely the coaching staff. Coach O'Brien is a hard-nosed coach. He'll be the first to tell you when you are wrong and then be the first to tell you that you were right. He supports his players on and off the field. To him your not just a tool, but a person. While I love the stadiums and facilities, a lot of schools have the money to give you that, but for me, it came down to taking into consideration who I was playing for and who I was playing with.

You seem pretty passionate about the game. What does football mean to you?

I've been playing since I was 5 years old. I've never missed a season, never wanted to quit. I want to keep it as a part of my life even after college. I would love to play after college, but even if I can't play in the NFL, I want to stay around the game.

You are revered as a technical Center. What is it about playing Center that you enjoy?

Every play starts with you. I like the responsibility that comes with the position. The Offensive Line is the automatic Touchdown maker. The glory in that position is self glory. You don't have plays that everyone remembers, but you take pride as a unit. My technique is also really important because I’m not huge compared to others who play college football today. At my size I’m not going to overpower, so for me to be good, I have to pride myself in my technique. But that's not saying that I'm not strong. I max 400 pounds on the Bench Press, 515 pounds for 3 reps on Squats, Power Clean 300 pounds and Close-Grip Bench Press 315 pounds, which might be the most important lift for an O-linemen. I'm also pretty quick for my size, running a 5.0 40 yard dash.

What are some of the goals that you have set for yourself?

If I end up redshirting, I would love to start as a RS Freshmen and earn Freshmen All-ACC honors. I would love to earn All-ACC honors every year after that. While those awards would be great my main goal is to come in and help the team. As a team I want to see us go to bowl games every year, win ACC Championships, and eventually a National Championship.

Tell us about yourself. What makes you who you are?

I’m very relaxed. I’m kind of a goof ball. I'm easy to get along with. Also, my mom is a physical therapists for special needs kids and I love to help with those kids. Me and my friends help kids with Cerebral Palsy lift weights. It puts things in perspective, because I know I can look at working out as a chore, but they are so excited to do it. Oh yeah, something else about me that you might not expect, I also play lacrosse.

If you could say anything to the Wolfpack Fans, what would it be?

Just stick with us and be ready for one heck of a ride. We are going to work hard and as long as you stay behind us, you’ll see great things.

comments

1 Response to "Getting To Know: Camden Wentz"
  1. ppack3 said...
    May 17, 2009 at 11:56 AM

    Dear Camden,

    If you think that a 6'4", 280lb. HS senior is an undersized college prospect to play Center, you are a modest young man. Obviously, some of the best O-Line coaches in the country believe that you are an exemplary height and size for their needs. They will mold you into a prototypical Center. You seem to have a great head on your shoulders, and have a fantastic attitude about your future. Work hard, play hard, and one day TOB and Co. will turn you into a Center that NFL Scouts will salivate over. We can't wait to see you in the Red and White from State! Big things are happening in this football program, and we are glad that you are going to be the catalyst in the middle of the Offensive line. Trust me, Wolfpack fans know their football, and they will apreciate a Center's hard work and dedication. And remember, Miracles happen at NC State! Good luck and God bless. Go Pack!

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates