Thursday, May 14, 2009

Getting To Know: Ryan Cheek


This volume of 'Getting To Know' will feature Middle Linebacker Ryan Cheek. We tried to dig up a little more information on Ryan for you today and struck gold. Call me nerdy, but I love stats and numbers. What we dug up were some pretty solid numbers on Mr. Cheek. Here they are: Ryan stands 6'2, weighs 232, Bench Presses 385 pounds, Squats 455 pounds, Hang Cleans 345 pounds, has a Vertical Leap 33 inches, runs a 4.1 second Shuttle, and boasts a 3.6 GPA. The kid is stout. If you aren't real familiar with how impressive some of these numbers are, trust me, its a lot of weight for any kid coming out of high school. We got the chance to talk with Ryan on Tuesday afternoon and I really enjoyed our conversation. Ryan was very personable and has a great sense of humor. By the end of the phone call he had me rolling. That's enough of me talking. Enjoy getting to know Ryan Cheek.

Why did you choose NC State?

I thought that the stadium was real nice. The coaches and players were great as well. I've always liked the area and I'm actually coming down there for a family reunion this weekend.

What leadership abilities do you bring to the table?

This past season I was Team Captain and I learned a lot. We had been to the playoffs for 5 years straight coming into this year, but we were only 6-4 this year. There were players quitting and it was tough. I realized that we weren't having fun anymore, and reminded everyone to have fun. Once we started having fun, we started winning again.

What have the coaches been telling you your role would be next year?

They've told me that I'll probably redshirt. They've also said that I could play inside or outside, but they aren't sure. They said we would figure it out when we all got down there for camp.

What are your strengths?

I would have to say knowing the game. My dad has been a coach since I was a little kid. I also have played a couple different positions. I played Quarterback my whole life until my Freshmen year. Then I moved to Linebacker, playing OLB my Sophomore season and MLB my last two years.

Who is your all-time favorite football player?

Pat Tillman. I've always looked up to him. They did a big story on him in Sports Illustrated a couple of years back and I have it posted up in my room. I love that he laid it all on the line on and off the field. Off the field all out.

Who do you pattern your game after?

Since I am from Ohio, Chris Spielman was always a Linebacker I looked up to. And of course Ray Lewis. What Linebacker doesn't want to play like Ray Lewis.

What are you planning on studying at NC State?

Probably education because I want to coach football one day. I am also looking into strength and conditioning because I would like to coach in college one day.

Hobbies and Interests?

I'm pretty laid back. I like go fishing and 4-Wheeling with friends. I like to hang out with buddies around a bonfire on the weekends. I also like helping out on the farm and being around family.

Did you grow up being a Ohio State fan?

I did because we live really close to Columbus. But I'm done with that crap. After I committed to State, I haven't watched a Ohio State game since. Every Saturday I was glued to the computer screen watching the NC State game.

Well it sounds like you would fit in quite well down here. Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to us. Let us know if there are is any videos or information that we could run on the site for you.

Well actually if you could make me 6'3, 240 pounds, and run a 4.3 40 yard dash I would be pretty pumped. See if you can cook that up for me.

Alright Ryan, I'll see what I can do. Ha ha.

comments

5 Responses to "Getting To Know: Ryan Cheek"
  1. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    May 14, 2009 at 8:31 PM

    ppack -
    Sorry I had to move the article and your comment got lost.

  2. ppack3 said...
    May 15, 2009 at 10:04 AM

    It's all good WPP. I'm sure you can see the 'hits' on this site, but it feels like there is not much traffic on WPP. I'm at a loss. There are more players, recruits, etc., that you never run out of articles to write. And they are all informative and well written. Football season is right around the corner, and NOBODY is talking about it (except you and me). Granted, there is other news right now, but I find a way to squeeze in some football everyday!
    I know it will pick up soon, but I thought you would be getting more cross-over traffic from WPH by now. Also, you are starting to pick up the Pack fans from 'other boards' that are less into the political aspects of NCSU. And, I think that is what makes this site (and WPH) great. Less politics, more sports.
    Oh, and about Ryan, he is a funny guy. I was laughing at this interview. O'brien may have to give him a few extra Media Coaching sessions to make sure the wrong thing doesn't fall out of his mouth in front of a recorder/camera, but he seems like a guy that is never at a loss for words. And, he is smart as well as physically gifted. A great addition to our team. Maybe he could achieve the attributes he's reaching for, and become our own version of AJ Hawk. Although, he's "done with that (OSU) crap!" That quote is classic. I've never heard of such a strong switch from OSU to NCSU. That says something about our coaches and our program, not to mention Mr. Cheek.
    BTW, how about re-posting some of your first articles once you get some more foot traffic over here. It may lighten the load a bit when we come closer to the Fall, and they are fantastic articles. I would hate for people who are arriving late to WPP to miss out on these threads. Go State.....

  3. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    May 15, 2009 at 11:49 AM

    We can always count on you ppack. Thanks for the continued support!

  4. Anonymous said...
    May 15, 2009 at 5:29 PM

    there's more of us out here reading than commenting. you're doing a great job, and i'm sure the traffic will pick-up. wolfpack hooops didn't get much attention in the beginning either. keep working hard!

  5. Anonymous said...
    May 16, 2009 at 6:27 PM

    I was laughing when I read the "I'm done with that crap!" quote. Ryan seems like a great guy. I can't wait for football season and it looks like TOB is bringing in some real quality guys that are going to play hard and give it their all for NC State!

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates