Monday, August 24, 2009

Checking In With NC State Commit D.J. Green


Recently we had the chance to catch up with NC State commit D.J. Green. Last year Green helped lead Westside High School (Macon, GA) to a 12-1 record. The Seminoles finished the season ranked #17 in the state of Georgia. D.J. is a consensus 3-Star Safety and who committed to NC State this past June. Here is how our conversation with D.J. went down:

WPP
: Why did you choose NC State?

Green: Most of all it was the coaching staff. I really liked their personalities,The personaties, they were really down to earth. When it was time for business it was time for business. They weren’t just talking to be talking.

WPP: What have the NC State coaches told you they are planning to do with you?

Green: I talk with Coach Reed for the most part. He sees me play multiple positions, safety and linebacker. Right now I’m just a safety and that’s my primary position, but when we get in the red zone they put me at linebacker because I have the size and ability.

WPP: What are your goals for your Senior seson?

Green: As long as the other team is making a decent amount of passes, I would like to get an interception each game. I was voted to be a Captain by my teammates and it meant a lot. I know they look up to me and I really want to step up and be a leader. It's my goal to not take any plays off and to step up when I'm needed.

WPP: Are there any players that you look up to? Try to pattern your game after?

Green: I used to love watching Sean Taylor. He was a Safety with a lot of size like me. I really watched how he tackled. He really drove with his legs and wrapped up and that has helped me in my tackling.

WPP: What have you been working on this off-season?

Green: Last year I was running around a 4.7 40-time, so I've really been working on my speed. Now I’m down to a low 4.5. I've been up early in the morning running the stairs, pulling the sled, jumping over hurdles, running in the quick sand and running 100’s with a parachute.

WPP: What is your current height and weight?

Green: 6’4" and 210lbs

WPP: What do you enjoy outside of football?

Green: I like school, it is fun because my friends and all my teachers like me. But I guess most of all I like to make my mom smile.

comments

6 Responses to "Checking In With NC State Commit D.J. Green"
  1. Alum02 said...
    August 24, 2009 at 10:26 AM

    Sounds like a good with some solid goals. Glad to hear he is working on his weaknesses (ie - speed). Green could be a stud LB in the coming years. Imagine him gaining 25 or 30 pounds of muscle (6'4" 240) and running a 4.6 forty. Beast.

  2. Mr. Duprey said...
    August 24, 2009 at 11:15 AM

    Great interview WPP - Hope to view some more of these future Wolfpackers throughout the year.

    Man, if Sean Taylor is the player he models his game after then he must be intense once he laces them up. If he evolves into a football player that brings to the table some of the attributes Taylor did then he could end up one of the biggest sleepers of class '10 nation wide. Taylor punished offensive players every down.

    How other worldly is this level of athlete become. Anything barely under 5 second 40 time for a non lineman causes you to be ostracized. If you can't show the 40 to be approaching 4.5 then you just might have to walk onto BCS teams.

    Crazy, anyone know their 40 time of the top of the head? When you were 18? Red, did they have cleats then?

  3. Anonymous said...
    August 24, 2009 at 11:34 AM

    First time poster, long time visitor.

    Good work fellas...i was waiting on a little football recruiting info. Although a 4.7 is pretty slow, a 4.5 isn't bad at all the fact that the staff think he could play linebacker makes me think he's smart AND athletic....a combo that TOB is notorious for finding.

    keep up the great work here. I tell everyone i see about the site and I hope everyone else does too. it's exactly what this fan base needs!

    -WolfinStein

  4. Pack Leader said...
    August 24, 2009 at 1:31 PM

    Id say keep him at Saftey. We will have a void there soon and if can start learning the position, at 6'4 205 4.5 he could really put a hurtn on a WR crossing the middle. I know thats a little tall for a Saftey but if he can continue to improve his speed he can play like Adrian Wilson. That would make are Def strong AND fast.....

  5. Pack Leader said...
    August 24, 2009 at 1:38 PM

    "Red, did they have cleats then?"

    PSSHHHH when Red was 18 they played with leather helmets and shoulder pads were made for womens dresses!!!!

    I kid Fred I kid......

  6. Anonymous said...
    August 24, 2009 at 2:34 PM

    keep this cat at safety and let him break WR's in half

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates