Sunday, August 16, 2009

Mike Glennon: "Time To Shine"


After Mike Glennon took home the Burger King Skills Challenge on ESPN two years ago, NC State fans were already dubbing him "the future of the Wolfpack." With his pedigree, his premiere arm strength, and his size, many believed he would be behind center from day one, mirroring the career of former NC State superstar Philip Rivers.

Enter Russel Wilson.

Wilson, a freshman carrying barely any hype, emerged as a star for the Wolfpack in fall practice and wrestled the job away from Glennon and Junior, Harrison Beck. With the starting quarterback position handed to Wilson, NC State coach Tom O'Brien decided to give Mike Glennon a year to learn and grow, as he was red shirted along with most of the other incoming frosh. However, after a mid-season injury to Wilson, it was believed that Glennon would be take off the red shirt and step onto the field. Tom O'Brien was not going to deviate from his plan, and left Glennon on the sidelines while giving the reigns to Junior, Harrison Beck. A decision that Glennon says was the "right one."

"I told them when I was being recruited and when I got here, that I want them to do what is best for the team and best for me. I think Coach O'Brien did that and Russel ended up having great success, so I think it was the best thing for the team. And for me just to have a year under my belt now, I'm just a lot more confident in my game and I think with 4 years left, rather than 3, I'm just a lot better off." Glennon said, during Media Day.


With a year of watching and learning from the sidelines, the red shirt freshman feels completely ready, something he couldn't say last year at this point.

"That's the thing. Last year I had an idea of the offense but I didn't have a real good grasp of it. I was thinking more then I should have been, when now it's more instinct about where I should go and where I should throw. Going through a full season last year and camp this year, I think it was very beneficial to me (to sit out last season)."


With an All-ACC caliber quarterback in Russell Wilson, and one of the top ranked young quarterbacks in the league, The Wolfpack offensive coordinator, Dana Bible, must be foaming at the mouth, ready to throw the book at opposing defenses. Glennon, being more of a Pro-style, prototypical pocket passer, and Wilson with the dual threat attack, should be able to give defensive coordinators fits all season long. Although, there is two sides to this sword, and while having two great quarterbacks gives a team lots of flexibility, it also is an opportunity for controversy. Lucky for Tom O'Brien, that shouldn't be much of a problem, as Glennon certainly has taken on a team first approach to the situation.

"Me and Russell are both competitors, we are always competing in everything we do, but I also know my role on this team. I know that Russell is a very good quarterback and i need to be patient and wait for Coach to call my number. We are both very competitive and we're both working very hard in practice."


With a positive attitude and tons of talent, Mike Glennon knows that success is just around the corner. He realizes that with hard work, and patience, his time will come. The only thing he is worried about is being ready, and being capable when he steps on the field on Saturdays.

"You come to college to play, you don't come to college to sit. When I get in there, I just have to make the most of my opportunities."


Something Pack fans are certainly eager to witness.

**written by Wolfack Pigskin**

comments

6 Responses to "Mike Glennon: "Time To Shine""
  1. Anonymous said...
    August 17, 2009 at 9:44 AM

    Really nice article Wolfpack Hoops!

    I'm amazed at the maturity this young man possesses. I know TOB has stated that Glennon will get some play time this season if for no other reason than the back up needs game experience in case the first option goes down (Heaven forbid).

    Can't wait to see what he can do in a game situation.

  2. ppack3 said...
    August 17, 2009 at 10:11 AM

    It should be supremely interesting to see things develop over the next few years at the QB position. Will it end up being a T. Taylor/S. Glennon situation, only in reverse? Will Wilson step away from the game with eligibility left to burn? I have a hard time believing that Russell will do such a thing, given his personality. And, I know Glennon is saying these things now, but if he projects to sit on the bench until his Senior (5th) year, is he as patient as he seems now? tune in next time, on 'As the Stomach Turns.' Bom Bom Bom....

  3. Alum02 said...
    August 17, 2009 at 10:32 AM

    Russell doesn't seem like the type to leave early, but with his father's health issues it certainly becomes more likely. Someone will have to support the family. Russell may not go high in the next draft, but he would definitely go high enough to earn a decent paycheck and support his family if that is what it came to. Regardless, Glennon needs to be ready, Proctor needs to get healthy and learn the playbook, and we need another QB on the roster that isn't a walk-on.

  4. Eric said...
    August 17, 2009 at 11:56 AM

    ^ Russell's family do not need money. As I understand it, his dad was a professional (lawyer?), and he grew up fairly well-to-do. If he leaves, it will be to focus on baseball and sports, not to support his family.

  5. Mr. Duprey said...
    August 17, 2009 at 7:56 PM

    Another benefit to having Mike RS last season is that he led a tremendous effort out of the scout team.

    From all reports the core of Glennon, Barnes, Dooley, Mattes, Allen and Wallace all grew together into confident and highly capable performers. They gave our Defense more then they could handle at times and can be credited with bolstering the resolve of this unit as we turned the season around.

    You would be hard pressed to think these other RS guys would have grown so confident w/o Mike Glennon as their every day signal caller- and it will only pay off more down the road when they are everyday starters together on Saturdays in the ACC.

  6. Anonymous said...
    August 17, 2009 at 10:24 PM

    I remember an article on gopack a while back...I believe it was called "Theres a King in Every Crowd." Anyways, it was a great article that most N.C. State fans should read (if interested just type into google "Russell Wilson a king in every crowd" and it should be the first link from GoPack). Anyways, I know his brother is a lawyer from the article. I know his family does not need money.

    Anyways, he would MOST likely leave after this season. Not because of his personality. He's a great young man. But we as fans can't be selfish. He will have a better chance (much better actually) playing baseball over football. There isn't a single QB in the NFL who's 5'11. This isn't a knock on RW at all. He's amazing and probably could do it, but he knows he has a better chance for a future in baseball. So why would he risk injury to play football for another year when he would most likely have earned his degree and would be drafted in the top 2 rounds.

    I'm assuming he would be drafted that early based upon Elliott Avent (our baseball coach) comments from the past.

    PCooks

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates