Friday, September 4, 2009

Willie Young Postgame Interview: NC State vs. South Carolina




Senior Captain Willie Young had a strong opening performance last night with 8 tackles (1 for loss).

Quotes from Willie Young

"I don't think we were consistent enough. If the defense kept them out of the end zone, and held them to three, we would have been better off. It's tough playing a good team like that."

"You never imagine or think about a loss. The best team won tonight."

"We are one team. One unit. It's like the defense is the offense and the offense is the defense."

"There is nothing that happened tonight that we can't overcome or that we can't fix. We beat ourselves clearly. It's as simple as that."

When asked what he thought about South Carolina controlling the clock Willie said:

"The way I look at it the longer the defense is on the field, the more time you got to build your stats up. Nothing that I look down on."

"We didn't capitalize when the opportunity presented itself. We were playing against a good team. Spurrier's got every thing under control over there, he's a great coach and he knows his stuff."

"You can't dwell on a loss. You have to take what happened and run with it. You learn from your mistakes. You take your job serious. We have a lot of young guys that haven't lost a game yet. We just have to go back and critique ourselves and make sure we don't make the same mistake twice."

"I didn't see a lot of heads hanging, because we know that the outcome of the game was all on our actions. It wasn't like we felt that we couldn't stop them or that we couldn't compete against them. The score was what...7-3, I think that's a pretty good ball game. The outcome just didn't favor NC State."

"If I had to choose a game to lose, I would rather lose the first game. For one it's not a conference game, and it's an opportunity for guys to see early on in the season that we can lose. I don't care how much hype you have coming into the season, talk is...talk. But going out and leading by your actions is another thing."

"No doubt we're a great football team. There's nothing that happened tonight that we can't fix. There were simple mistakes. Turnovers. Adversity struck, and I don't think we handled it to well at first. I feel that we came back and really answered to that adversity that we had to deal with."

"We've got some young guys coming in filling some spots. I think they experienced that things can go wrong. Just because you come out and practice well and don't have any mistakes in practice, doesn't mean that mistakes won't happen in the game."

"I feel that the defense came out and played ok. If the defense was playing at 110%, then they wouldn't have scored. The best they should have gotten was 3. The score would have been tied. That's the best they should have gotten. When we let them in the end zone, that was on us. It shouldn't have happened."

When asked about Nate Irving:

"I took his celebration move and used it on a big TFL I had. I guess it was a signature for Nate Irving."

When we asked if he was going to claim the move the rest of the year...

"I tell you what...what do you think?"

comments

3 Responses to "Willie Young Postgame Interview: NC State vs. South Carolina"
  1. Anonymous said...
    September 4, 2009 at 11:40 AM

    I know everyone was extremely confident going into this game. Looking at the bright side, other than 7pts that was scored off of a fumble the defense gave up 0 pts. It was a hard fought game. USC defense really stepped up and did a great job. Its one of those situations where you can't put the blame directly on anyone. Our first game of the season and we come out and play one of the top rated defense in the sec and in the country. Second half we got going a little bit. And how bad was that NO CALL on the facemask penalty. I would much rather take that L now if it means it'll will bring us down to reality and make everyone understand that no opponent can be underestimated and that we will have to leave it all out on the field. No worries, looking forward to Pitt

  2. WilmingtonWolf said...
    September 4, 2009 at 11:42 AM

    Wow, Willie sure speaks well and gives an entertaining interview. I felt like he played a great all around game and came up with a few big plays. You can tell that the guys really look for him to lead out there on D. I'm predicting great thing from WY this season. Let's just hope the offense can hold up their part of the bargain.

    WPP, I gotta hand it to you (and your staff?). Out of all my years of follow NC State (and I'm no young buck) this is by far the most comprehensive post game reporting I have come across. Your site is a little gem stone that I feel many do not yet know about but keep up this type of work and I am sure they soon will.

  3. Michael G. said...
    September 6, 2009 at 2:15 AM

    what a great representative for our university - probably a result of listening to TOB for 2 years. he'll make a great coach someday.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates