Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Where Are They Now? Dantonio Burnette


Dantonio Burnette, known by many as “Thunder Dan,” was one of the greatest linebackers to ever come through NC State. An unforgettable moment for all Wolfpack fans was back in 2003, when Burnette spearheaded a heroic goal line stand against Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl. Maybe you remember when he haunted Clemson back in 2001, collecting a Carter-Finley record 24 tackles (2nd most in a single game in NC State history). It is very likely that when many of you sleep at night, there are permanent highlight reels of Levar Fisher (#44) and Dantonio Burnette (#45) creating havoc for opposing offenses. However it is that you remember Dantonio Burnette, it is a certain fact that he should be remembered.

Burnette’s imprint on the NC State record book is unmistakable. He ranks 2nd in tackles in a career (476), 5th in sacks in a season (9), 5th in tackles for loss in a season (17), and 3rd for tackles for loss in a career (41). After finishing his Senior season as a member of the All-ACC 1st team, Burnette was not done giving back to NC State. In fact, since arriving in Raleigh in 1999, he has yet to leave. He has since served the NC State football program as a Graduate Assistant, and he is currently the Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach.

We had the privilege of sitting down with Dantonio recently and asked him to share with us his story. We would like to give him the chance to tell his own story in his own words. Sit down in a comfortable chair with some coffee and enjoy as Thunder Dan tells his story.

How Thunder Dan Ended Up At NC State

Initially NC State was the first team to offer me a scholarship. They offered me right after my Junior year, and then a lot of other teams started coming on strong. My visit to NC State was actually the only one where I brought my mom and my sister. I went by myself to all of my other visits. It came down to NC State and Auburn. When Coach Bowden was fired, I decided I didn’t want to go to Auburn. I looked at NC State in a great way. I didn’t want to be too far away from home, but I also didn’t want too be to close.

When I came on my visit, I saw that it was a really young team. I saw it as an opportunity for me to come in and play. When I learned more about the academics at NC State, I decided that it was a place I would like to go spend 4-5 years. I ended up attending NC State and here I am 10 years later. I’ve gone from a player to a full-time assistant strength and conditioning coordinator.

Dantonio’s Top 3 Games Of His Career

Statistically my favorite game was probably against Clemson when I had 24 tackles (2001). I actually would have had around 30, but I missed 3 or 4 on Woodrow Dantzler. I think that was also one of the greatest games of his career as well.

I also think that one of my greatest games was against Georgia Tech when I had like 4 big stops on the goal line. I had 18 tackles and an interception. That game really stands out to me. I was the Chevrolet player of the game. It meant a lot to me because I was playing against my hometown team, Georgia Tech. My high school head coach’s son was actually the offensive coordinator for Georgia Tech at the time, so I sort of "had it out" for the running back that game.

But you can never forget the Gator Bowl. I had that big hit on Carlyle Holiday and then I came back into the game after I had been taken out. We had put the young guys in, and Notre Dame was about to score again, and I begged coach to put me back in, I was actually able to be a part of another goal line stand at the end of the game.

Life After Graduating College

Once I left NC State I was picked up as a free agent by the Pittsburgh Steelers. They were the first team to jump on me and I pretty much jumped on it quickly. I saw it as a great opportunity. It was also a pretty cool situation because Bill Cowher was a former NC State football player and he was known for spawning good linebackers. Then my agent ended up getting a call from the Atlanta Falcons, which was my hometown team, but I had already jumped on the train to Pittsburgh.

When I got to Pittsburgh I did a pretty good job. I made it all the way to the final cuts, and then I was released on waivers. After that I came back to Raleigh and was training here and also working as a personal trainer. During that time I got calls from NFL Euro, Arena League and Canadian League teams, but I was still set on seeing if there was a shot in the NFL.

It was while I was working as a personal trainer here in Raleigh that Coach Amato called me and asked if I was interested in being a Graduate Assistant. He told me that the position on the defense had already been taken, but there was an opening for a Graduate Assistant in the weight room. When he told me that I was excited and jumped on the opportunity. I always loved working out. It was something that was fun to me. I always saw it as an opportunity to help build up my body so I could put a better product on the field. This was a chance for me to start a career path. When I first came on with the staff I was still helping out some with the linebackers. As Coach O’Brien and the new staff were coming in, I was just graduating from Grad School. I got a degree in Sports Management for my undergrad and a Masters in Higher Education and Sports Management in grad school. Coach Rice and Coach O’Brien offered me an opportunity to stay here and work as one of the full-time strength and conditioning coaches. God opened up an opportunity and blessed me.

A Band of Brothers

When Coach O’Brien came here he started the Players Reunion and it has been a great thing. That’s one of the things that we look forward to every year, when we get to have all of the old players back. We’re all just one big family. The football team is like a fraternity to us. Since we were playing football we didn’t have the opportunity to go out there and be a part of different fraternities. We consider each other brothers and always look out for one another by always giving each other a call and trying to be a help to one another in any way that we can.

It was pretty cool playing with Levar Fisher because Levar was #44 and I was #45. It was hard to run away from us. Levar and I talk about it all of the time. We had some great years. When Levar and I stepped on the field we felt like we were the best group of linebackers. I also played out there with Brian Jamison, Pat Thomas and Freddie Aughtry-Lindsay. We called ourselves the ‘hunting dogs.’ We were the guys that made the tackles. We were the guys that made the big plays.

Working For Coach Rice As The Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach

Working for Coach Rice has been great. He’s the best strength coach in the country. I have never seen anyone who is so technically sound. He has an answer to every question that you could ask. I’m going into my third season in this position, and I have learned so much. It’s amazing how far I’ve come since the first year. At first I was just sitting back and learning things, but now it comes more naturally.

I tell the guys all the time that I wish I were in the position they are in today. Some of the stuff that we do now would have really helped my teammates and me when we were playing, especially when it comes to the area of stretching and flexibility.

The Chance To Give Back

I look at this opportunity as a blessing and a testimony for me. It’s a blessing for me to be able to give back. I know where I’ve come from and more than anything, I know where I’m going. I come from a single-parent home and I was the oldest of 6 kids. I was the father figure in the home. We have a lot of guys who come through the program who have been raised in similar situations. I want these players to always know that they can come to me with anything. I see these guys everyday and have a real good opportunity to get to know these guys on a personal level.

There is a story to every book. I come from a very religious family. Both my Uncle and my Grandfather are pastors. I grew up playing drums in the church. I always like to ask the players what church they go to. Russell Wilson’s actually started going to the church I attend. I am thankful for faith and I can always tell the guys that I know where my strength comes from.

What It’s Like Going Through The Tunnel On Saturday’s As A Coach

I still get goose bumps to this day coming out of the tunnel. The only thing that I miss these days is going out there and hitting people. I always tell the guys that when I come out of the tunnel that I feel like I’m still one of the players, but once I get back to the sideline it’s back to reality. Let’s get ready to watch guys like Nate Irving, Russell Wilson and Willie Young run around.

comments

3 Responses to "Where Are They Now? Dantonio Burnette"
  1. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    October 20, 2009 at 7:34 AM

    I know we released this article a few days ago, but it was covered up so quickly by other news that we wanted to give you another chance to read it, if you have not.

  2. WolfEyeforTheStateGuy said...
    October 20, 2009 at 1:35 PM

    Big ups to by boy Thunder Dan!! When i was little me and my brother used to play football together. I'd be Burnette and he's be Levar. We'd wreck havoc on kids!!

    well actually we weren't very good, but thats besides the point.

  3. Dan said...
    October 21, 2009 at 3:43 PM

    Very Good Article. I really appreciate the comments. And It's still Great to be part of the NC State family. This program will forever be apart of me and I appreciate everything it means to be apart of THE PACK!

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates