Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Jarvis Byrd: 'Taking Off The Redshirt'


The original plan was to redshirt true freshman Jarvis Byrd. After starter Rashard Smith went down with a knee injury in the Boston College game, the coaching staff had to do some serious thinking about taking the redshirt off of Byrd. He had been playing exceptionally well on the scout team all season long, acting as the opposing teams best defensive back every week. In fact, Byrd was the scout team defensive player of the week before the Murray St. game, after he picked-off the first team offense 4 or 5 times that week.

"Playing on the scout team each week really helped me get better because I was working against guys like Owen Spencer and Jarvis Williams everyday," Byrd said. "During the bye week the coaches went back and watched film from practice and saw how well I was doing against the 1st team.

The coaching staff had a tough decision on their hands, because if they took off Byrd's redshirt, he would have already missed a good portion of the season. Byrd was a top recruit for the Pack, considered to be the best player in NC State's 2009 recruiting class, according to Rivals.com. Some people might consider taking off a redshirt after 7 games as wasting a year of eligibility for the particular player, but Coach O'Brien and his staff were in desperate need of assistance in the secondary.

When Coach Reed called Byrd during the bye-week and asked him if he was ready to play. Byrd knew he was ready to play, but had thoughts about holding on to the redshirt.

"At first I thought about holding on to my redshirt, but then I realized that the experience would really help out next year," Byrd said. "I feel like it was a good thing because I am playing nothing but the top teams left in the ACC."

Byrd was considered one of the hardest hitting defensive backs in his recruiting class, and his aggressive style showed up on the field this past Saturday in Tallahassee. In the 14 snaps that Byrd played, he recorded 4 solo tackles, looking extremely confident in his collegiate debut.

It was fitting that Byrd made his debut against Florida State, the team that he grew up idolizing. This past Saturday was also the first time that the true freshman had been back to his home state since coming to Raleigh earlier this year.

"I grew up a FSU fan, so I was real energized to step into that stadium for the first time," Byrd said. "It was homecoming for FSU and it was kind of like a homecoming for me too, because I haven't been home since I came to Raleigh. Getting to play my first game with my mom and dad in the stands was really special."

comments

5 Responses to "Jarvis Byrd: 'Taking Off The Redshirt'"
  1. ppack3 said...
    November 5, 2009 at 10:32 AM

    I would recommend to all readers, that you go back and take a look at an archived article here on WPP, entitled "Getting to Know Jarvis Byrd" This kid is the real deal, and TOB and Co. just couldn't keep him under wraps any longer! He may be just what the doctor ordered for this Defense.

  2. Unknown said...
    November 5, 2009 at 1:22 PM

    I really like this kid. I hope that he is able to continue his early success. I will definitely be watching for him on the field the rest of the year.

  3. Alum02 said...
    November 5, 2009 at 2:19 PM

    He may not be a great DB this year, but he will get better and this experience will really pay dividends for next year. I just hope he can stay healthy and gain confidence. It seems like he and Rashard Smith are both very confident that they can perform at this level. You need that. I like what we have coming back on defense (and offense) next year.

  4. Slick said...
    November 6, 2009 at 12:24 AM

    In my opinion, after missing the first seven games the staff should've held onto the redshirt. Even though the def. is struggling it's not like we were completely out of dbs.

  5. Anonymous said...
    November 13, 2009 at 7:24 PM

    Jarvis will do great. Now that he has got a feel for the game at this level and he has confidence he will be just fine. He is going to be such a great player. Nc State is where he belongs
    luv ya jarv

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates